Saturday, March 12, 2011

Deliciousness

I tried out a couple new recipes over the weekend. We all chowed down! It's not very often that we all eat what's on our dinner plate....meaning I have picky kids!

SIZZLING FAJITAS

Marinade:
Juice of 1-2 limes
2 Tbsp. of olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4-1/2 C. chopped fresh cilantra, including stems
Optional 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped


Other ingredients:
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Lb. flank steak, carne asada or skirt steak (I used beef stir fry)
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain
2-3 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips (I used small vine sweet peppers)



1. Mix the marinade. Coat the steak and let it sit at room temp for 1 hour. (I threw all my ingredients into a ziploc bag with my beef, mixed it up and let it sit.)


2. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to pan or griddle and let it heat up. Add steak, frying on each side until desired doneness. Remove from pan and let sit, tented with foil, while you cook the veggies.


3. Add 1 more Tbsp. oil to the pan. Add veggies. Drizzle with a bit more oil to coat veggies if desired. Stir every 1-2 minutes as the veggies sear. Cook about 5 minutes or until desired softness. (I cooked mine about 10 minutes or so. I like them soft.)


4. Slice your meat against the grain if it was not sliced before you cooked it. The thinner the better! (I bought mine already sliced.)


5. Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and warm tortillas. Recipe serves 4.


Delicious!! I think my husband helped himself to thirds!

COLESLAW

Dressing:
2 Tbsp. minced onion
1/3 C. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. milk
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1/4 C. buttermilk
1-1/2 Tbsp. white vinegar
2-1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Other ingredients:
2 bags of precut cabbage/coleslaw blend or 16 C. finely diced cabbage and 1/2 C. diced carrots

(I used the bags of precut cabbage. I used one bag just as I bought it and I ran the other bag through my food processor to chop it really fine.)

1. Pour cabbage/carrot mixture into large bowl and stir in minced onion.

2. Pour dressing over cabbage and mix thoroughly.

3. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight before serving (or at least several hours).

I paired the coleslaw with hamburgers on the first night and BBQ chicken teriyaki on skewers on the second night.


Mmmmm, I think I'm heading to the refrigerator to scavenger for some leftovers now!

1 comment:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

YUM! I'm heading over right now....